What this privacy statement covers
How to contact
If you have questions, concerns or complaints you can contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to the address below: Privacy Questions CivilGEO Engineering Software 8383 Greenway Blvd, 6th Floor Middleton, WI 53562 USA
CivilGEO complies with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. CivilGEO has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification page, please visit https://www.export.gov/safeharbor/ In compliance with the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Principles, CivilGEO commits to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal information. European Union or Swiss citizens with inquiries or complaints regarding this privacy statement should first contact CivilGEO:
by e-mail at
by postal mail to
Privacy Questions CivilGEO Engineering Software 8383 Greenway Blvd, 6th Floor Middleton, WI 53562 USA
We have further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the US-EU and US-Swiss Safe Harbor Principles to an independent dispute resolution mechanism, JAMS, in accordance with the JAMS International Mediation Rules. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed by CivilGEO, please visit the JAMS web site at www.jamsadr.com for more information and to file a complaint.
Information we collect about you includes
User IDs, registration, and contact
We collect information that identifies you when you
- register to use one of our websites or applications
- register to attend an event
- create a user ID to access our websites or applications
- contact us for services, support, information or other reasons
We may collect your name, company name, email address and other contact information, a profile image (which may be a picture of you), or payment information. Sometimes we collect other information that does not identify you, like your job title, industry or interests. Some information is required, and other information is optional. For student and education versions of our applications, we may require information to confirm your eligibility. For our customers who make purchases through our channel partners or ecommerce providers, we will receive personal information about you from these companies so that we can have an accurate record of applications to which you have access. To help keep our databases current and to provide you with more relevant content, experiences and offerings, we may combine information you give us with information from public sources and trustworthy companies (such as our resellers and ecommerce providers, and business contact databases), all in accordance with applicable law. For example, these sources can tell us about the company size and industry of our business customers, and also help us maintain the accuracy of our databases.
CivilGEO desktop product activation and automatic updates
When you activate a CivilGEO desktop application, we collect information about your system, the desktop application you are activating, and the application (product) serial number. Some of our applications include features that connect to our servers and let you install updates to the application. We may keep track of information such as whether the update was successful or not.
Websites and applications
Our websites or applications may collect usage information so we can manage our agreement with you or the company, organization or institution through which you receive access – for example, so we know how much to charge based on amount of use, or when the limit of the services paid for has been reached. You can get more information by reading the terms of service or software license agreement that applies to the applications you are using, and by talking to your license or contract administrator. Some of our websites and applications include specific data collection programs. Depending on the website or application, this information may or may not be associated with your personal information. You can learn more about specific programs, as well as your choices about how we use this information.
Automatic data collection tools, cookies and similar technologies
Buttons, tools, ads, and content from other companies
- ensure that appropriate advertising is shown in the application or on the website
- calculate and control the number of unique and repeat views of a given ad
- deliver ads that relate to your interests, and
- measure the effectiveness of ad campaigns
Some technology enables advertising to be temporarily uploaded onto your mobile device and replaced while you are online. We do not actively share personal information with our Ad Partners or third party advertisers for their direct marketing purposes unless you give us your consent. Our Ad Partners deliver ads for us and may combine the information collected or obtained from us with other information they have independently collected from other websites and/or other online or mobile products and services relating to your browser’s activities across their network of websites. Please note that if you choose to click on an ad or participate in promotions of any third-party advertisers via an ad that appears in our application, this is solely between you and the advertiser and your participation is subject to the terms and conditions associated with that ad or promotion.
Social sign on and social networking
Some of our websites and applications may allow you to sign in using a social networking platform account (such as Facebook, Google+ or Twitter). Social sign-on features may make creating an account with us faster for you by pre-populating our registration or user profile form with information you provided to the social networking platform. The first time you use a social sign-on service, the social media platform typically explains what information will be shared with us. Also, we have pages on many social networking platforms where you can visit and communicate with us. We may collect information when you visit our social networking pages. We will use this and social sign-on information for the purposes described in this privacy statement. Be sure to review the privacy and data usage policies of any social networking platform you use to learn more about its personal information practices and your options.
Some CivilGEO websites and applications are intended for general audiences. However, we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children aged 12 years old and under. In some jurisdictions, notification, prior written permission or other verifiable parental consent may be required of a parent or guardian for children from 13 to 17 years of age. No information should be submitted nor posted to CivilGEO websites or applications by children 12 years old or under.
Information and content that you disclose
Some of our websites and applications allow you to post “likes,” comments, profile information (including profile images), videos, photographs, images, design files, and other content for others to see. In some cases you can limit who can view or access information and content you post. In other cases, the information and content might be available to registered members of the application or website, or even to the general public. We urge you to be careful and thoughtful when deciding to disclose personal information, or any other information, on our applications and websites. If you are posting information you to not want to be disclosed publicly, make sure you are using a website or application that allows you to control who sees information you have posted. Please note that in some of our application and website forums, your name, user name, profile image, or email address may be posted along with any message you post. If you choose to share personal information in this way, the access limitations, security protocols and other commitments in this privacy statement will not apply to the information shared. For information about how to access or remove personal information or content you share, read the information access, controls and choices section. For some websites or applications, we may allow access to certain content that you have shared publicly, including personal information, through an application programming interface (API).
Storage, retention and deletion of personal information
We store personal information and data files associated with you on CivilGEO servers and servers of companies we hire to provide services to us. This information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where CivilGEO operates, and in countries where our service providers who help us run our business operate. Please see the sharing with third parties section for more information about our practices and requirements we place on service providers. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you agree to the transfer to, and processing and storage of your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered as being less strict than those of your region. This consent applies in addition to other legal grounds for transfer, processing and storage of your personal information, such as for contract fulfillment purposes. We will keep personal information about you only as long as we need it:
- to honor your choices,
- to fulfill the purposes described in this privacy statement, or
- as required or permitted by applicable laws and regulations
For example, some laws and regulations may require us to retain certain transactional data. We take reasonable measures to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information in a secure manner when it is no longer required. For example, when the information is printed on paper, we take reasonable measures to delete or destroy it by shredding or incineration; where the information is stored electronically, we use technical means to render the information unusable.
How we use information
We use information about you in a number of ways, including:
- Providing you with access to our websites and applications for which you are eligible.
- Providing you with services, support or information you have requested.
- Sending you business communications. Examples include sending you application service packs, notices about upcoming events like an account or subscription expiration date, or reminders that you need to take an action such as complete a payment.
- Sending you communications with information about us, including about new applications and special offers or promotions. Sometimes a company or organization (including ones with which we have a business relationship) may ask us to make a business introduction to one or more users of our applications and websites, and we may contact you with details and to ask if you are interested.
- Measuring and better understanding how our websites and applications are used, so we can improve them.
- Tailoring your overall experience with us, our websites, applications, as well as our marketing.
- Reducing software piracy, fraud, ensuring our applications and websites are used in compliance with applicable terms and the law, and protecting our customers and end users.
- Sending questionnaires and surveys in order to provide better applications and experiences to our customers and end users. Your completion of any questionnaire or survey is voluntary.
- As explained in any supplemental privacy or data collection notice for a website or application.
- Sharing within our family of companies and sharing information with third parties as described below.
- For any related purpose that you would reasonably expect, such as general administrative functions.
Sharing information with third parties
We may share information about you with companies, contractors and agents that help us to run our business. These companies, contractors and agents provide services to us like fulfilling orders, sending emails to you on our behalf, delivering customer support, and processing payments. They will have access to some of your information, limited to what they need to have to provide services. We require these companies, contractors and agents to agree to use reasonable safeguards to protect information about you. They are not allowed to use the information collected by us for their own purposes. We may also share information about you:
- When you agree to the sharing. We do not share personal information about consumers with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes unless the consumer agreed to that sharing. Under certain programs, we may offer to make an introduction between a consumer and another company.
- If you are a business customer, with our channel partners and sales partners for operational purposes, such as order fulfillment and to confirm information about what applications you have access to.
- When the company, organization or institution through which you have access to our websites and applications has set up an agreement with us to receive user-specific information, subject to privacy laws.
- When we are required provide information to comply with applicable laws, subpoenas, court orders or other legal processes.
- When we have a good faith belief that the disclosure is necessary to prevent or respond to fraud, defend our websites or applications against attacks, or protect the rights, property and safety of CivilGEO, our customers and users, or the public.
- If we merge with another company or if we decide to sell or reorganize some part or all of our business, assets or stock (including if we file for bankruptcy or are part of a similar proceeding). You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of the part of our business, assets or stock affected may continue to use information about you as set forth in this privacy statement.
- We may share or publish aggregated information and other information that does not specifically identify you, such as statistics about the number of visitors to our websites or about how customers and end users use our applications.
Security and integrity of personal information
We use a combination of administrative, technical and physical security controls to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. However, despite our efforts, no security controls are 100% effective, and we cannot completely ensure or warrant the security of your personal information.
Cookies and similar technologies
In-application usage metrics and analytics
Trial, preview and pre-release (beta) applications
For trial, preview or beta applications your limited or full participation in an in-application analytics program may be a condition of receiving access to those products. Please review the applicable terms of service, license agreement and any specific privacy or data collection notice attached to a given application for more details. If you do not wish to participate please do not use these products.
Customer Error Reporting and similar programs
You will be asked if you want to send in error reports, wither through our Customer Error Reporting program or an application specific error reporting program. In each case, a dialog box will appear in-application, and you will be told what information the tool will collect, how it will be sent to us, and any other relevant information about the tool or its use. You must choose to send us the report.
Customer controlled services
CivilGEO customers may invite you to participate in a customer-specific site of an application. The customer site administrator manages these invitations, and requests to change or update information you provided when registering should be directed to that site administrator. CIVILGEO ACTS ONLY AS A SERVICE PROVIDER TO OUR CUSTOMERS IN CONNECTION TO THESE APPLICATIONS, AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR THE USE AND/OR DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU BY SUCH CUSTOMERS.
Changes to this privacy statement
We may update this privacy statement from time to time. Check the “last updated” section at the top of this privacy statement to see the last time the privacy statement was changed. If we decide to make changes to our privacy statement on a forward going basis, we will tell you and other users by placing a notice on www.civilgeo.com and/or by sending you a notice to the e-mail address (if any) we have on file for you. We may also give you notice through our applications and on our other websites. You should periodically check www.civilgeo.com, our other websites and this Privacy Statement for updates. Your continued use of our applications and websites constitutes your agreement to this privacy statement. For changes to this privacy statement that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of personal information you have provided to us, we will obtain your consent before implementing the change. Please contact us if you have questions.